Transition to Post School
Transition or change at any stage of a person’s life can be a difficult time. Particularly for students with Down syndrome preparing to leave high school, these transitions can be a little more complex. The process may require a lot more planning and support to ensure that the student feels empowered and are on the right path to being successful in their transition to adult life. In being a part of the student’s support network, we want to ensure that the student will strive to achieve their personal goals and get the most out of life after they have finished school.
Transition can look at a number of different things:
• Career / Employment – Open or supported employment
• Further Education / Training – Obtaining the knowledge and skills to be able to go into a job
• Recreation / Leisure – Having an active and rich social life
• Community Awareness – Knowing the services and supports that are accessible to the person
• Life skills – Cooking, Safety, Finances, Independence, Health
• Transport – Getting a licence, Travel training
• Communication – Use of communication supports, Knowing how to communicate in different settings (e.g. Workplace, Social)
• Support Network / Relationships – Identifying who the supports are and creating a good network if necessary
Useful Downloads and Links
- Department of Education, Training and Employment
To find out more about transition to post school for students with disability.
- Parent to Parent QLD
Transition Guide for Students with a Disability - Version 2014.
- Support for School Leavers (Resources)
Information to support young people with a disability after they leave school.
The National Disability Coordination Officer (NDCO) Program works strategically to assist people with disability access and participate in tertiary education and subsequent employment.
- My Future My Life
My Future My Life is an initiative designed to help students with a disability pursue the goals they have set for themselves for when they complete school.
- Support For School Leavers (QLD Government)
Disability Services Queensland provides a range of supports to help young people with a disability move from school to adult life.
- Department of Communities, Child Safety and Disability Services
Assist people with a disability and their families to access the support and services they need as they move through the different stages of their life.
- Information for Youth in Queensland
To find out more about the options available to youth in Queensland.
Further Information and Support
For further information and support please contact the team at DSAQ on (07) 3356 6655 or at email@example.com